The New Logo

The New Logo

Saturday, February 6, 2010

The Super Bowl Pick: WHO DAT vs. The Fightin' Peyton Mannings

I apologize that I am not like every blogger out there who probably has posts about the game every day of the week but to be honest, I have heard about the Super Bowl for the last two weeks, it started to wear on me therefore I decided to write nothing on it. I think this is going to be a great game (sorry Tony Dungy) for a variety of reasons.

It's very important that the New Orleans Saints hit the Indianapolis Colts right in the mouth in the first possession of the game.  I am not saying they need a touchdown, but if they drive the ball down a bit maybe get stalled still okay for that to happen, rather than a simple three and out giving the Colts the immediate momentum.  The Colts need a couple big plays, and they are off and running with the momentum, which they rarely lose after having it.  All you have to do is look at the New York Jets game when they were down 17-6, Peyton Manning slices through the defense for a 2 minute drill touchdown.   

People have began to question if Peyton wins this game does that make him the best ever?  I hate to put someone in that category when they are still playing the game and you have a guy like New England Patriots' quarterback Tom Brady that has made it to three Super Bowls. In addition, former San Francisco 49er Joe Montana won three Super Bowls, which is something neither of them has done.  Overall in America, we are too quick to say "so-so is the greatest ever" in whatever we are talking about.  Yes, Manning heads into another level of the Best of All-Time, but he isn't the best.   

The other thing that has been talked about more than me talking to people about Jersey Shore while intoxicated is the Dwight Freeney injury.  Obviously, we all knew he is going to play this game because it's the Super Bowl, no brainer unless you are in a coma.  Freeney will struggle in the game though, I cannot think of the pain that will take on him and you might see him great in spurts but in no way at his usual level. Good news for the Colts is they have a great defensive end in Robert Mathis who doesn't get enough love and Raheem Brock is a hell of a back-up.  I think the injury doesn't hurt the Colts as much as people are making it out to be. 

The reason people feel the injury affects things is because of the Saints' three-headed rushing monster known as Mike Bell, Reggie Bush, and Pierre Thomas.  I think if you are the Saints, you need to think run first. Keep Manning on the sidelines as much as possible and let the clock drain. I know Drew Brees is a difference maker but if you try down the Colts defense, that will do wonders for the passing game as well.

Lets also talk about Reggie Bush.  I love the guy, one of my favorite college players and followed him pretty closely in the pros.  In big games, Reggie wants the ball and to be the center of attention. Remember the botched lateral in the National Championship game versus Texas?  Sometimes Bush tries too hard in the spotlight.  But I do agree with some who feel he can have a Desmond Howard-like impact on the game and maybe wind up Super Bowl MVP if the Saints do win this one. 

Now for the prediction, I think this game is somewhat like the 2002 Super Bowl between the St. Louis Rams and New England Patriots.  You have one team who people do not really want to see win and a team everyone was pulling for (remember, the whole team concept and Tom Brady rise to glory?).  The exact same thing is happening with the Saints, people want this for a tortured franchise and a city who got destroyed by Hurricane Katrina four short years ago.  Even though, I do not like him Peyton Manning is almost too good to say he will lose.  The team could have been undefeated and Manning is a mastermind behind center. I have a hard time seeing the Saints stopping him and especially, Dallas Clark after the kind of game Vishante Shincoe had in the NFC Championship.  But I love the underdog and I love the passion Brees brings to the game so I am going with my heart not my brain.  WHO DAT.

Saints 41  Colts 38 

PS: Don't worry you are getting a good Super Bowl because I am getting Eric, my roommate as drunk as possible to ensure a great game.

-Charlie.

1 comment:

Sports Chump said...

Nice call.

My service had the Saints minus 10.5 at +650.

Winner winner, chicken dinner.